[haiku-development] Re: More folders in home

  • From: Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:20:47 -0700

I have never been bothered by having a /home folder at initialization of a partition. What would bother me is having a /home folder stuffed full of other folders and folders inside folders, etc. ad nauseum, right from the get go. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. BeOS has always been about "elegant simplicity". Efficiency. Forward thinking with minimum backward compatibility baggage.

Let us strive to keep these primary goals and get Haiku to alpha status (and beyond) before we start trying to make it like MacOS X or whatever. As is, Haiku is already far more capable, peripheral-wise, than BeOS ever was. But let us not allow ourselves to look beyond the important basics of "solid functionality" (modern hardware/peripheral support) and get mired in "cool stuff the other OS's have".

"Losing focus" in Haiku is just as bad as a Be, Inc.'s "focus shift". And look where it got them! The longer it takes Haiku to get to alpha, beta, and R1 status, the more and more people will begin to wonder if it will EVER get there.

I can't help but wonder if that wasn't one reason why Phipps left. 7 years has been plenty long enough, as it is... let's not make it too much longer, eh?

Maybe we should strive towards the goal of... "Haiku: 2008 - the end of the wait!"

Sounds good to me...

Luposian

On Apr 20, 2008, at 11:01 AM, Axel Dörfler wrote:

Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't know if haiku differs, but BeOS created the /home folder even
on
empty partitions (without OS), thats annoing, too.

Tracker does that in order to have a trash directory (which happens to
be under home/Desktop/Trash). Of course, we could delay the creation of
that directory until someone finally moves something in there, but I
would actually prefer a different solution (like having different trash
directories for non-home volumes).

Bye,
   Axel.