[haiku-development] Re: More folders in home

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:24:43 -0400

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nobody is imposing anything. If you don't like the Pictures folder, delete
> it. It is a suggestion, and also apps that works with pictures may use it as
> the default folder.

I think it would be better for Haiku to *suggest* a standard for
folders, and applications can create them when needed. It should still
be configurable by the user of course.

> Tracker may also come pre-configured to show relevant attributes for each
> folder.

I suppose we could create some standard folder MIME-types as well,
which could be applied when the folders are created. The
pictures-folder MIME type could cause Tracker to show thumbnails by
default.

> Why is mail different from pictures? What if I want it elsewhere, or in a
> pendisk? Or if I don't want to use Haiku for mail at all? I find this folder
> which I didn't ask for. Where is the difference then?

In my opinion mail should be like any other folder and should be
created when needed, as I suggest above. I too might never use email
on Haiku because I tend to use Gmail pretty much 100%.

> The only folder into home I find different is config. It does not contain
> "private" stuff, if you understand what I mean, so it's ok if it's managed
> by the machine.

config is definitely not going anywhere.

Ryan