[haiku-development] Re: Modular Edit View Development

  • From: amanjot singh <amanjot1507@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 19:25:37 +0530

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 20.03.2012 15:15, schrieb amanjot singh:
>
>  And im new to all this deelopment thing and GSoC too, so i mean, how and
>> where do i start?
>>

> I am guessing you mean you are new to developing for/under Haiku? Your
> best starting points are probably http://www.haiku-os.org/guides and
> http://www.haiku-os.org/**development<http://www.haiku-os.org/development>
> .

Yes, i am new to Haiku development. I have read the first guide but not the
second. And to contribute i just have to write the code in c or c++ or
python and make it runnable in haiku right? Or is there some special sort
of developer for Haiku?

> If you mean you are new to coding in general, I am not sure if GSoC would
> be a good program for you to participate in. I think in practice is does
> require a decent amount of coding skills to be successful. As you can see
> on our ideas page, pretty much everything says development skills are
> required. Other participating organizations mostly also require coding
> skills and test it for example by requiring patches to be submitted (as
> does Haiku).
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

And i was told to see the source code for other editors. Other editors you
mean like gedit?

And due to time restrictions and my being new to all this, i couldn't solve
any bugs. So, i wont be selected in GSoC most probably, i am basically
submitting a proposal for selection in Haiku Code Drive.
Am i on the right track?