[haiku-development] Re: Minimize button

On Sep 13, 2011, at 8:34 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13.09.2011 11:57, Axel Dörfler wrote:
>> Stephan wrote:
>>> The real problem is that the minimizing action itself may be completely
>>> confusing to new users.
>>> Their window just disappeared and they have no clue how to get it back.
>> [...]
>>> A dedicated minimize button wouldn't fix this problem, [....]
>>
>> Exactly, it wouldn't really help at all with the confusion. That's also not
>> what the feature request is about, btw.
>> The confusion could easily be removed if we add an animation that moves this
>> window into the deskbar, though. And this is what I would recommend to
>> implement rather than another button to clobber the interface for no real
>> gain.
>
> You are ignoring my (or the original poster's) argument that this feature is
> a hidden feature to begin with. Therefor the addition of the button would not
> be "for no real gain". It would provide the very real gain that it becomes
> obvious how to minimize windows without consulting any guide.
>
> You may think that this benefit is minimal and does not outweight the
> disadvantage of adding more visual noise, but please allow others to
> disagree. In every other relevant OS, the minimize button does not seem to be
> considered a waste of space or clobbering the interface. They are doing fine
> with three buttons. Haiku has only two right now. Doesn't mean the reasons
> are very good.

The current functionality is inline with what Be provided with the BeOS. As I
understand it, Haiku is a reimplementation of the BeOS & follows the original
guidelines. Most people loved the fact that the BeOS wasn't Windows, Linux, or
MacOS.  Adding a close button would make it look less like something different
& more like the same old thing provided by other OSes. Sometimes you have to
learn how to use things. If the OS is good enough that a person would want to
try it out, then it should be good enough for people to take the time to learn
how to use it (via manuals, forums, etc.). Every option isn't going to be
presented in the exact way that everyone wants. This is the design of the
system; there are more important things to work on than adding a "minimize"
button. The titlebar minimizes; the only reason you want a button to do that is
because Apple & MS want you to have one for that purpose. There's no
intergalactic law stating that all windows must provide a button for
minimization.

A. Demetrious Sharpe

Sent from my iPhone4