[haiku-development] Re: Mercurial

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:32:40 -0500

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The next step is documenting a workflow for developers with the
> alternative SCM. There are two lines of doing that; the first would be
> along the line of getting a personal migration of the repository with
> hgsvn or git-svn. That is the only way to get a git or hg repository
> that can exchange data with the svn repository. (As far as I found
> there is no way to share the metadata that the svn converters use to
> keep track of the status of svn and migrated repositories).

I believe it is possible to edit the git-svn information in a git repo
which was originally cloned through git-svn. I at least intend to try
this with the Haiku git repo I cloned from Travis' repo at
git.newos.org. The main issue is just using the right information when
pushing changes back upstream. If I get this working I will document
it so others can do it as well, because cloning the svn repo and all
the commits into git (and probably hg too) is a long and slow process
(plus it puts a load on the svn server, which could potentially impact
other committers.)

I can also try to develop a decent work flow for the git-svn bridge
and then document that as well.

> For non-svn committers we can design another type of documentation;
> one that shows how hackers can use the cloned hg or git repository and
> use that to track patches that they (and others) made.

I don't know about Mercurial, but I know Git was designed to ease the
management and applying of patches, so it might even make sense to
advise people to use one of these alternate workflows if they are not
svn-committers.

--
Regards,
Ryan