[haiku-development] Re: Menu shortcuts without Command key

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:23:26 -0700

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 04:45:28PM -0400, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Kate <rogueeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is there any way to create a menu shortcut (hotkey) which does not require
> > Command/Alt to be pressed to activate it. e.g. for an IDE, I want the "build
> > and run" command to be F7. According to the Be Book this is impossible
> > because Command is already set in the modifiers mask by default.
>
> Yes currently it is not possible to make a single key shortcut with
> BMenuItem. I don't necessarily agree with this limitation, but I know
> at least Rene who responded before is STRONGLY against making it easy
> to use single key shortcuts.
Are his reasons documented anywhere?  I'd agree that allowing single
alphanumeric keys would be crazy -- far too easy to do something
unintentional -- but it seems to me that that is what function keys
are sort of... *for*!  Especially as they are otherwise fairly pointless
in a GUI mode.)

Cheers,

-- Pete --