[haiku-development] Re: Media plugin support - to message or not to message

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 14:28:18 +0200 (CEST)

> On July 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> False. The design of one (or two) centric servers is flawed because what
> if one crashes? I've experienced this myself and it's not easy to
> restart it at all (end users would not be able to do it). Meanwhile, if
> an application crashes, you can just restart it easily.

That's not entirely correct. In order to prevent crashes, it would be best to
launch an extra server for each media node, and for all codecs. The media_server
supervising them should always be smart enough to restart the add-on servers
when needed.

Then, having the server crash on identification of a media file would be much
less troublesome, and would give you a much better end user experience in the
end: instead of a crash, you'll get an error message, and can continue to work.

Having a media player crash might not matter much, but having a video editing
software crash might cause the loss of your precious work. Since codecs are not
controllable from within applications, it should be the system's duty to run
them in a safe environment.
Having your application not crash is just one way less someone could take over
your system.

Ideally, the add-ons would never be executed in the application context at all,
but always be run in a dedicated server.

Bye,
   Axel.