[haiku-development] Re: Mail and E-mail preferences

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:40:04 +0000

Thom Holwerda wrote:

On 21 feb 2008, at 19:43, Truls Becken wrote:

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Rene Gollent" <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I dunno - while it doesn't sound too bad, it's a lot of
space wasted  for those 2 to 3 items you'll likely find
in that menu.

That's pretty much why I prefer the icon approach myself.

My menu bars seem to be well below 50% full most of the time. The other
part, the grey void, is what is truly wasted space.

What is considered too wide for a menu bar depends on how small you
make your windows, which is again tied to different people's use
patterns.

Would using the abbreviation "App" be too geeky?

I'd say, yes. Additionally, 'app' isn't even a word, so it's double bad.

I'd agree that "App" isn't ideal, "Application" is the only word I can think of that's suitable. However for the amount of use the items of the menu get I agree "Application" would be too prominent (one option would be to right-justify it).

I really don't like replacing text with an icon simply because the name is too long. This is a completely flawed argument when localisation is taken into account, and not exactly consistent - for example replacing "Help" with a ? icon would save some pixels and even have a more-readily understood meaning than an application icon, but I don't hear anyone suggesting it.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh, but Axel's point about an icon in the menubar looking odd if there is a toolbar directly below is a worry for me too. Perhaps these kind of issues are why lots of platforms still have Quit in the File menu!

Simon