[haiku-development] Re: Mail and E-mail preferences

  • From: Thom Holwerda <slakje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:52:44 +0100
On 21 feb 2008, at 21:43, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Bruno Albuquerque <bga@bug- br.org.br> wrote:

More than that, the thing about the icon being too small at the required
resolution is completely irrelevant. Eventually the user will be
"trained" to know the the icon menu is where application-specific stuff
resides. He will not be "trained" to look for an icon tha resembles
whatever the application does. Eventually, this specific menu entry will end up being caled the Icon Menu, just like we already have the Haiku Menu.

To further Bruno's point, let us consider some of the latest knowledge
about user interface design: users are not always novices. In fact,
they quickly become reasonably efficient at using an interface after
some practice. So all this talk where we are constantly pandering to
complete newbies really isn't necessary.

Like Bruno says people will figure out fairly quickly that there is an
icon in the menu, it is the same icon for the application seen in
Tracker and the Deskbar, and after clicking it they will see
application-specific menu items. As long as we are consistent in this
use it will become a "Haiku-ism" just like Mac OS has the Apple menu
and the application-named menu.

Good set of arguments, I'd say. I was rather indifferent, but you guys got me on the side of the small icon thingie menu. Not that I'm in the position to decide or anything. Just an opinion :).

Anyway, I can't repeat it often enough: just, for the love of god, be consistent. Let's prevent inconsistencies from day one.

Thom