[haiku-development] Re: Mail and E-mail preferences

  • From: Thom Holwerda <slakje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:03:57 +0100

On 2008-02-21 at 18:52:43 [+0100], Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I dunno - while it doesn't sound too bad, it's a lot of space wasted
for those 2 to 3 items you'll likely find in that menu.

That's pretty much why I prefer the icon approach myself.

+1.

Best regards,
-Stephan

The problem with such an icon approach is that the icon, at that size, is nothing more than a few insignificant pixels lumped together, not really distinguishable anyway (small icons are heck for i.e. accessibility).

Another option, as already noted, is to use the application's name, like OS X does. There are a few problems with this one. As Matthieu said, on OS X, it has a point (since there is only one menubar) while on Haiku, there really wouldn't be a need. Additionally, some applications' names are actually quite long, bringing in Rene's complaint.

I'd say while plastering 'application' all over the place might not win any beauty pageants, it does seem the most friendly way of conveying the menu's point. However, Rene's complaints on the width of the word 'application' are pretty much valid, so if anyone has a nice synonym, let's hear it.

One, almost passionate plea though: whatever is decided upon: please, be consistent. EVERY application should have the menu.

Thom