[haiku-development] Re: Mail and E-mail preferences

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:30:20 +0100 CET

"Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are definitely
> several prominent BeOS applications that already have such a menu. Pe
> I believe does, and Vision as Rene mentioned. Since there is a
> definite difference between applications and their windows in
> BeOS/Haiku, I think it makes sense to have an application menu.

Pe actually doesn't have it. And besides Vision, I don't know an
application that would have this menu already (not counting in ZETA
apps).
Anyway, that aside, I don't think the application menu works that well
with the "menu in window" way of doing things; there just isn't a
global instance that identifies the application (besides its Deskbar
entry, but I wouldn't advocate putting that stuff there, either).

So whatever we do, IMO it won't be a completely clean solution - and
since the "File" menu has "Quit" and "About" in it since forever, I
don't really see the need to change that in particular - people are
used to it.

With regards to the icon in the menu, I think if there is an icon
there, it should represent the document, and not the application,
similar to what Tracker is doing - an icon that you can drag and
actually have a reference to that document under your mouse. Those are
two very different concepts, and I don't think they would go together
well.

Bye,
   Axel.