[haiku-development] Re: MIME types.

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:26:19 -0300

Axel Dörfler wrote:

I think this should be solved inside Tracker. The FileTypes preferences application could of course show the attributes coming from a super type, too (like it does with icons), but that's not a requirement.

Ok, I will bite. I will implement the Tracker side of this but I would like to get your opinion. First, this is how it works today (supposing a folder that has both wav and mp3 files:

At the bottom of the Attribute menu, you would see these 2 menus:

MP3 Audio File
WAV Audio File

In expanded form, they would look more or less like this:

MP3 Audio File
  MP3Attr1
  MP3Attr2

WAV Audio File
  WAVAttr1
  WAVAttr2

Note that the attributes listed have to be directly associated with the mime type. super-type attributes (AudioAttr1, AudioAttr2, ...) will not be displayed at all.

So, There are 3 ways I can see to change this:

1 - Merge supertype in subtypes.

MP3 Audio File
  AudioAttr1
  AudioAttr2
  MP3Attr1
  MP3Attr2

WAV Audio File
  AudioAttr1
  AudioAttr2
  WAVAttr1
  WAVAttr2

2 - Implement explicity hierarchy (using another menu level).

Audio
  AudioAttr1
  AudioAttr2
  MP3 Audio File
    MP3Attr1
    MP3Attr2
  WAV Audio File
    WAVAttr1
    WAVAttr2

3 - Consider the supertype as a different type.

Audio
  AudioAttr1
  AudioAttr2
MP3 Audio File
  MP3Attr1
  MP3Attr2

WAV Audio File
  WAVAttr1
  WAVAttr2

What do you guys think? I personally would prefer 1 or 2 (in this order).

-Bruno