[haiku-development] Re: MIME types.

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:24:10 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:26:19 -0300
> Von: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [haiku-development] Re: MIME types.

> Axel Dörfler wrote:
>
> > I think this should be solved inside Tracker. The FileTypes preferences
> > application could of course show the attributes coming from a super
> > type, too (like it does with icons), but that's not a requirement.
>
> Ok, I will bite. I will implement the Tracker side of this but I would
> like to get your opinion. First, this is how it works today (supposing a
> folder that has both wav and mp3 files:
>
> At the bottom of the Attribute menu, you would see these 2 menus:
>
> MP3 Audio File
> WAV Audio File
>
> In expanded form, they would look more or less like this:
>
> MP3 Audio File
>    MP3Attr1
>    MP3Attr2
>
> WAV Audio File
>    WAVAttr1
>    WAVAttr2
>
> Note that the attributes listed have to be directly associated with the
> mime type. super-type attributes (AudioAttr1, AudioAttr2, ...) will not
> be displayed at all.
>
> So, There are 3 ways I can see to change this:
>
> 1 - Merge supertype in subtypes.
>
> MP3 Audio File
>    AudioAttr1
>    AudioAttr2
>    MP3Attr1
>    MP3Attr2
>
> WAV Audio File
>    AudioAttr1
>    AudioAttr2
>    WAVAttr1
>    WAVAttr2
>
> 2 - Implement explicity hierarchy (using another menu level).
>
> Audio
>    AudioAttr1
>    AudioAttr2
>    MP3 Audio File
>      MP3Attr1
>      MP3Attr2
>    WAV Audio File
>      WAVAttr1
>      WAVAttr2
>
> 3 - Consider the supertype as a different type.
>
> Audio
>    AudioAttr1
>    AudioAttr2
> MP3 Audio File
>    MP3Attr1
>    MP3Attr2
>
> WAV Audio File
>    WAVAttr1
>    WAVAttr2
>
> What do you guys think? I personally would prefer 1 or 2 (in this order).

I think 2 is nicer, but if you have only a single file type in the folder
(should be very common), then I believe switching automatically to 1 will be
more convenient.

BTW, I didn't get a chance yet to reply to your original mail, but I like both
suggestions very much. I remember talking about the attribute inheritance with
Axel a couple weeks ago, it would definitely be immediately useful and a great
"comming to maturity" of this BeOS feature through Haiku. :-) Putting it into
Tracker is also what I believe is best.

Best regards,
-Stephan