[haiku-development] Re: Lua bindings for the Haiku API - Volunteers?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:59:49 +0000

On 12/28/10, Hike Danakian <hdana2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It would be nice to have perl also, as it is included with Haiku. If
> SWIG has been ported, then that should make it automatic, but I'm not
> sure of the quality of the results.

And to add more confusion I (and maybe a few others) would like Ruby
bindings to Haiku as well. I have also thought of SWIG for this but I
think it leaves a lot to be desired and at the end of the day one
would want to make Perlish/Luaish/Rubyish APIs on top of this anyhow.

> On the other hand, Perl has Inline and XS, which lets you call C++
> functions from Perl. Maybe Lua has something like this?

Ruby (and its various implementations like Rubinius) has something
like that too. Unfortunately because each language is different and
has their own APIs and methods for communicating with C and C++, it
may just be the case that we are all on our own as far as making
bindings.

In regards to the original request for Lua bindings, I'd suggest
starting the project yourself and seeing who wants to help. I
definitely agree with your premise that it would be good to have other
languages in which to develop Haiku applications. Unfortunately not
everyone has the same favorite scripting language.

Though I would like to learn Lua and this might be a neat project, I
don't have the time at the moment either. I'm too busy working on
WebPositive.

--
Regards,
Ryan