[haiku-development] Re: Localization of file names?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:46:12 +0100 CET

I've been forced to use OSX for some months now, and I'm getting really
pissed off by all those translated names. It just doesn't sound right.

You drag-n-drop a file from ~/Vidéos/ to Terminal and it becomes ~/
Movies/...

Even in some GUI apps the right path is displayed, so the confusion is
not only for Terminal users.

> A third alternative would be to store all translations for the file
> name
> in one attribute (for instance in an serialized BMessage).

Yes it's funny how Apple finally made it to using xattrs, still they
have the ugly habit of putting everything in binary flattened 'plist'
(property list) xml trees...

François.