[haiku-development] Re: Localization of file names?

  • From: Michael Pfeiffer <michael.w.pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:42:16 +0100

Am 28.02.2010 um 14:16 schrieb Stephan Assmus:

> On 2010-02-28 at 14:07:59 [+0100], Michael Pfeiffer
> <michael.w.pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Maybe I am missing something, but what would "HP DeskJet" be called in
>>> German? and what about "Postscript" or "USB"? These are all names that
>>> don't
>>> get translated. Can you clarify what exactly you want to be translated?
>>
>> Just try to add a new printer with the Printers preflet and you will see
>> there are some drivers / transport add-ons where a translation is needed.
>> Like: "Preview" printer driver, "Save to File" transport add-on.
>
> Ok. But isn't the name already exported by the add-on?

No, IIRC.

> What about a USB printer add-on, wouldn't it  return the name from the USB
> device? Then the
> translation can optionally be handled by the add-on.

As I said above such an interface could be provided.

Still I would prefer a solution on the OS level, as this could also be useful
to localize the preflets in the Deskbar application menu, for instance. BTW in
that menu "Applications", "Preferences" and so on, should also be localized.

- Michael