[haiku-development] Re: Localization of file names?

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:57:50 +0100

PulkoMandy wrote:

> André Braga wrote:
>
>> Or by home folder creation time, create the default set of folders (with
>> corresponding icons) using the proper locale names, but add said attributes
>> to the folder so that Tracker and other apps understand what the folder is
>> for.
>
> Mh... This would likely work ok for these folders, but not for localizing
> preferences in the deskbar.

Actually, it would. What you see in the Leaf menu is the content of
~/config/be, which is a set of symlinks organized in some directories.
The symlinks could perfectly well be created with different names than
the executables they point to. This would, however, be quite confusing
for a curious user opening the directory where the actual apps or
preferences live since the names would be different from what he will
see in the Deskbar.

> This is the problem : either we localize the full system to the point
> scripts becomes incompatible between the different localized-versions, or
> the localization must stay a layer above other things and only be visible on
> tracker but not terminal...

The first is clearly not an option, unless the aim is to create an
unusable system.

-Truls