[haiku-development] Re: Linux support for BFS

  • From: Jerry <jquill81@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:16:50 +0100

Stephan Aßmus wrote:
>Is it that you want to get rid of the FUSE dependency or do you just want
>better speed and don't care if it's via FUSE or not?

Well, both actually. Speed is certainly a significant consideration,
especially in the view of heavy file transfers. But above all, native
BFS support within the Linux kernel would give me the impression of
something more 'solid' and reliable than a FUSE module. Perhaps my
understanding is a bit silly, but the feeling I get from FUSE modules
is that they are some sort of 'hacks', even when they work fine.
Having a proper implementation in the Linux kernel, on the other hand,
would be something more 'official'.
Even more important: there are considerations of simplicity and ease
of use at stake. If we can get a proper BFS module into the Linux
kernel, it would be much easier for *all* users, regardless of their
technical expertise, to access Haiku partitions straight away, whereas
having to rely on a FUSE module will pose a serious obstacle to some
users (having to understand what a FUSE module is in the first place,
the find it, download it, install it, configure it properly...).
The day we will be able to access Haiku partitions from a default
Linux installation will be a day to celebrate for the Haiku community.
I believe that this relatively simple step would contribute to earning
Haiku some deserved recognition and acceptance.