[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 09.05.2012 01:35, schrieb John Scipione:
>
>  Secondly we need to integrate KeymapSwitcher into Haiku and natively
>> support multiple keymaps. Apparently this is a must have feature for
>> Cyrillic users, not just a nice to have, meaning they cannot
>> practically use Haiku without native keymap switching support. We need
>> to add a Deskbar replicant to access the keymap settings. I'm not sure
>> how KeymapSwitcher currently works, but, I imagine it already has
>> this.
>>

> KeymapSwitcher consists of two parts: input_server filter and Deskbar
> replicant. The filter do the following: a) remap the Cmd-based shortcuts
> from Cyrillics to Latin to let them works; b) checks for keymap switching
> shortcut, and send the message to the Deskbar replicant. The replicant a)
> receives the messages from the filter, reload keymap file and call some
> undocumented call in the input_server to apply this updated keymap; b) it
> also tracks the currently active team and switches the keymaps in dependecy
> of it.

Can you also switch your keymap graphically using the replicant or do you
need to use the modifier? Do you get any kind of visual feedback when this
happens? I would imagine showing the flag as the replicant icon would be
what you'd want to do, say the flag of the Russian Federation for Russian,
the Old Glory for US, etc. And what is the modifier used to switch your
keymap? Is it one way only or can you switch backwards or forwards? Can you
change the modifiers used to switch your keymap? Does the interface allow
you to add/remove keymaps? Does keymap switching ever happen automatically
like when you are Activate certain apps or is it triggered manually only?

John Scipione