[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 20:39:41 +0200

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 01:50:02PM -0400, John Scipione wrote:
> As was discussed in 'AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard'
> Cyrillic users need both a Cyrillic (Russian, Ukrainian, etc.) keymap and a
> Latin keymap by default because otherwise they won't be able to do certain
> things like use Terminal. Perhaps adding some sort of Latin keymap by
> default in addition to the one you select (US-International for instance)
> could solve the problem cleanly without requiring the user to choose
> multiple keymaps in ROBP. Although, if you select US or most any other
> keymap I would not want to install any additional keymaps and would not
> want to activate the keymap switcher app. I am trying to make this work for
> 2 use cases, those that need more than one keymap while simultaneously
> catering to those who want only one and don't want to deal with keymap
> switching at all.

Right. Having a list of keymaps that needs KeymapSwitcher sounds fine. I
don't remember seeing the full keyboard setup layout in ubuntu install,
so you can only select one layout there as well ?
Anyway, remember that there is a live CD mode that boots straight into
the installer, there you need the keyboard mostly to name your
partitions. Not sure which keymap is better suitable, I guess it's a
matter of user preference...

> > A great effort was made so the app can be used in this way. It displays
> > only languages for which there are catalogs, and shows a flag next to
> > the language name to make it easier to identify the right one.
> >

> And I am quite thankful for this work. Although Zeta's looked nicer. Flags
> should be bigger.

They are HVIF icons and will look as good when drawing them bigger. Feel free
to tweak the list view to make it look better :). I never used Zeta, so I have
no idea how it looked there.

> Most OS's these days, Windows 7, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, et all have a first run
> setup that pops up for these kind of settings. I don't see why Haiku should
> be different, after all, once the one-time settings are set, you never need
> to go back to it ever again. It also is useful for managing the out-of-box
> experience of the OS, introducing concepts and settings to users new to the
> OS. I could see how this would be quite annoying for development though,
> so, that's why I suggest we skip the first boot setup for non-release
> builds.

Development is not a problem for me, I insall thingsover an existing
install that already has preferences (and it's easy to set up a keymap
in userbuildconfig, which should prevent it to popup.
I'm more worried about what I actually said, so let's state it again ;)
:
 * LiveCD mode where settings never get saved,
 * Special dialog that you see once and can't see again from the regular
preferences menu. Windows and osX open the actual preference panel IIRC,
and Mac OS X asks about the keyboard layout every time you plug a new
keyboard (which can get rather annoying)
 * The 3-click install makes a very good first impression on new users.
Setting stuff up makes the system look more complex than needed. We
could also ask for left-handed mouse, setup network, and I'm sure others will
come up with their own settings preferences. This can get out of control
quickly.

--
Adrien.