[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 07:35:45PM -0400, John Scipione wrote:
> Fourthly we need to integrate multiple keymap support into ROBP and
> show it at startup so that you can select your keymaps at first run.
> We may want to disable ROBP at startup for development builds though
> and only show it for release builds. We probably also want to add
> Timezone and other one-time settings there too.

The rest of the todo list is ok, so not commenting.
About the boot prompt :
The idea is to get Haiku in a state where you can use installer. This
means:
 * A language you can understand,
 * A keymap that matches your keyboard as closely as possible

A great effort was made so the app can be used in this way. It displays
only languages for which there are catalogs, and shows a flag next to
the language name to make it easier to identify the right one.

The fact that Haiku (and BeOS) can be installed in just 3 clicks (1 select
partition, 2 click install, 3 click reboot) makes a very good impression
on users. The more questions you ask there, the more likely users will
get lost. Note that on a live CD, where these settings can't be stored,
you will be asked all the questions, everytime.  So I don't think it's a
good idea to add more settings there. Once people get started with
Haiku, they will take time to set things up properly, but first, we need
to show them how simple it is. I don't know how much time an users spend
in Haiku the first time they run it, but making them spend more of it in
configuration dialogs doesn't sound like a good idea. Rather use this
time to show off what we can do and let them discover the settings
dialog a bit latter. This also means the settings are available in only
one place, avoiding questions like 'when I first ran Haiku, I saw a
dialog with some useful settings, now I want to change something and I
can't find it again'.

--
Adrien.