[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

  • From: Joseph Groover <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 19:05:43 -0500

What is wrong with using bitmaps? Fonts require quite a bit of computation as well... and bitmaps can be faster when accelerated rendering comes along.

That, and each localization SHOULD be permitted to override the menu entries.

My keyboard (like most US keyboards):
 [CTRL] [⊞⚐] [ALT] [                            ] [ALT] [⊞⚐][䷔⬉][CTRL]

Attempting to use universal glyphs is admirable, however there is no way to adequately convey to the user what the following means:

_F_ind                  ◇F
Find_N_ext      ◇G
Find_P_revious  ◇⇧G

Not that it can't be learned... Firefox just uses Ctrl+Shift+%letter%  Maybe we
should follow suite?  Shrink the text, localize it, and draw a rect around it
to look like a button?

I've never been confused as to what to press in Firefox after-all...granted -
it ain't pretty... but how often do you stare at the menus?

--The loon