[haiku-development] Re: Interesting feature of Snow Leopard

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 10:19:56 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Actually we do that with attributes in general. I guess it could be
> > extended to do it with files too but I am not sure if we would
> > really
> > gain much with it as files would have to be pretty small to fit in
> > what
> > today is the small data section, Compression would help here.
> For a new FS I'd rather go the ReiserFS way and get rid of the inode
> notion
> completely. That this is a worthwhile endeavor can be easily seen
> under
> Linux by letting ReiserFS 3.6 compete e.g. against ext3 on a file set
> with
> many rather small files, say a Haiku tree checkout.

Definitely, and even Reiser 3 has much room for improvements (I guess
that's what Reiser 4 is about ;-)).

> AFAIK for Reiser 4 it was intended to support compression. Don't
> know, if
> that was actually realized, or whether any benchmarks suggested that
> this
> is a good idea. Does probably heavily depend on the transfer speed of
> the
> underlying storage device.

I would suggest adding a generic compression layer, which would enable
the feature for all file systems; for those that support attributes,
the compression could also be enabled on a per file basis.

Bye,
   Axel.