[haiku-development] Re: Intel GMA X4500 Video Handholding?

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 04:18:55 -0800

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That depends on how you chose the type constant - you should start with
> something that already exists, especially the family.

I think I had the type constant confused with the Device ID.  Now I'm
using INTEL_TYPE_G45, which was already defined.  It doesn't crash
anymore but the controller isn't recognized.

Am I correct that the type here indicates the chipset, and not the
graphic controller itself?

According to Wikipedia, my graphics chip uses the G45 chipset:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X4500

(Scroll down to Table of GMA Graphics Core.)

There is an X4500 and an X4500HD.  I *think* I have the X4500HD.

For the bridge ID in the intel_gart driver, do I use the value given
in the Devices app, for "Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge"?  That is
0x244e.

In the Bridge section is also listed "Intel Corporation 4 Series
Chipset DRAM Controller", with a Device ID of 0x2e20 - perhaps I
should use that in intel_gart instead?  I'll just give it a try while
I await your response.

Please be patient with me - I'm a good coder once I know the ropes.
This is all very new to me.

I've done quite a bit of driver work, but never in Haiku, and all my
previous driver work has been for storage.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com