[haiku-development] Re: Intel GMA X4500 Video Handholding?

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:43:16 +0100

Michael Crawford wrote:
The Detailed tab in the Devices app says that the Device ID 0x2e22 is
a VGA compatible controller, but my motherboard doesn't have a VGA
socket on it.  The 0x2e23 is just listed as "Display controller",
without any mention of VGA.  Would that be the controller for my DVI
port?

It says you have a "VGA compatible controller" not that you have a "VGA port" :-)

Almost every PC graphics card made in the last 20 years is VGA compatible - that is, it accepts the same software commands as the original VGA controller that IBM designed in 1987, but the phisical characteristics have of course changed, port included.

And anyway, every DVI port out there integrates a VGA port - you just need a cheap adapter or cable. And the lesser known fact is that every DVI port can be turned into a HDMI port with a different but equally cheap adapter or cable: it's not advertised by the card makers because such a solution may not include some functions that people may expect from a HDMI connection, such as audio and HDCP.

Greetings,

Gabriele - www.biffuz.it