[haiku-development] Re: Installing Haiku to a partition from Linux and updating?

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:32:07 +0200

Am 25.04.2008 um 14:25 schrieb Stephan Assmus:

Rene Gollent wrote:
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 6:45 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@pinc- software.de>
wrote:
I don't think we can currently only update the system folder and leave
everything else untouched. That might be something we want to change
in the future, though.
As a work-around, you can create a second image, boot from that one,
mount the first one, and replace the "beos" folder on the root level
of the first image.

My personal workaround for this was to set everything up the way I like,
zip up ~/config/settings, copy the zip file to my linux partition via
bfs_shell, and then add a UserBuildConfig rule to unzip that file back to
the image as part of the build process.

That's what I did too, though it would give certain problems with unzipping that I didn't quite understand. Then I zipped each app's settings folder
individually and that worked like a charm.

Another way is ftp'ing individual settings files to Linux and adding them individually via UserBuildConfig.

Not all relevant settings are in ~/config/settings, network settings for instance.

Andreas