[haiku-development] Re: Installing Haiku to a partition from Linux and updating?

  • From: "Fredrik Holmqvist" <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:32:03 +0200

2008/4/25, Julius Bullinger <julius.bullinger@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hey there, this is my first post to this mailing list, I hope I am on
>  the right place. :-)
>
>  I' running Arch Linux and I'd like to install (=build) Haiku from
>  there AND update it without
>  losing my settings.
>
>  My UserBuildConfig currently looks like this:
>     HAIKU_IMAGE_NAME = sdb2 ;
>     HAIKU_IMAGE_DIR  = /dev ;
>
>  As far as I know I tried all available jam-options, including
>  update-image, and update-install, but either the system has been
>  initialized freshly or it hasn't been touched.
>
>  It maybe not possible since Linux isn't able to read/write BeFS, but I
>  don't know if that matters...
>
>  I used the old build tools the last time I tried, but couldn't manage
>  it; but IIRC this should be possible with the new build tools?!

Is the problem that you loose your Haiku settings on rebuilds, or to
create a bootable Haiku partition?

If it's the first I think that is just the way it is. It overwrites
the partition.
If it's the second you need adequate permissions to write to the
partition. Building as root or being in the disk group should fix that
kind of problem.

(I think this is not really for this mailing list though.)

/Fredrik Holmqvist