[haiku-development] Re: Including the decorators in the default build

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 08:15:45 -0700

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

13 juillet 2015 16:26 "gus knight" <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit:
Hi,

Over the past couple of months, various people have put a lot of
effort into cleaning up & stabilizing the non-default Decorators
(BeDecorator, WinDecorator, etc.)

Is there any reason we still can't include these in the default build?
There have been a couple people asking for them, and have been
somewhat frustrated that they have to build them themselves.

The main issue is, besides BeDecorator, they don't have Stack&Tile support.
Since we have an API for that and it is part of the Haiku UI features, all
decorators should support it.

There is also not much use for them besides testing the decorator API. Why
are people asking for them? If it's only to play around with the look and
feel, maybe we could make them available in a separate package (no need to
clutter the default install with them). If there are more serious needs, the
default decorator should be fixed so switching to something else is not
needed :)

The decorators seem like something that should be moved into packages,
that way people that want them can install them from Haiku Depot.