[haiku-development] Re: I'm interested in developing a project for Haiku

2009/10/29 Alexey Burshtein <aburst02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  Hello,

> A few words about myself: I've applied for the last year GSoC, here is the
> link to my
> interview<http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1118&Itemid=1>(
> http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1118&Itemid=1)
> following GSoC application. In short, I have a working experience of 6.5
> years in IBM Research & Development Labs in Haifa, about 9 years of user and
> 7 years of programmer experience with BeOS / Haiku, and I'm now working for,
> well, Microsoft Israel Development Center. I also named my cats after
> BeOS flavours :) This is just to assure you that I know coding and I'm
> familiar with BeOS / Haiku way :) I'm not sure about the experience of my
> partner, but it's not her first year in the university either, thus she
> must've learned somethin g in the previous years :)
>
> You wrote:
"2. Improving WebKit and creating native Haiku WebKit-based
browser<http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2009/hitech/t123854030554>

The more people will use Haiku in their everyday life, the more Haiku will
benefit from it. Since most computer users use them to play games, edit
documents, play multimedia (reading e-books is also playing multimedia in
this case) and surf the net, creating a full-featured fast browser will
solve a quarter of newbies' problems in Haiku. Or even half, if Google
Documents are good enough for their purposes."

It's probably much much higher than 50%.
Also, the browser will probably be included with Haiku...I don't think haiku
will bundle other apps like a calendar app.