[haiku-development] Re: I'm interested in developing a project for Haiku

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:09:51 +0800

On 2009-10-29 at 23:48:14 [+0800], Alexey Burshtein
<aburst02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > That you have to write or the mentors?
>
> That's we, the students, who write the monthly reports, but I'm sure the
> mentors will be contacted by the Projects' Coordinator also. After all, he
> needs to know we don't cheat him in our monthly reports. :)
> If the community agrees, then let's just name the possible mentors, define
> two-three possible project subjects, contact the Project Coordinator and
> see where it goes from there.

It's less a question of whether the community agrees -- the community is
usually glad when more people help improving Haiku. In my experience (mainly
from GSoC) mentoring is quite a bit of work and since all Haiku developers
work on Haiku in their spare time finding developers who are willing, able,
and have time to act as a mentor for a project will be the tricky part. It's
probably a good idea to start compiling a list of projects you'd be
interested in and see for which ones there'd be possible mentors.

CU, Ingo

PS: I think it has not be mentioned yet: IPv6 support would be a very welcome
feature and a large enough task. Don't know, if anyone would mentor it,
though.