[haiku-development] Re: Ideas related to the media_kit

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 17:30:36 +0100

Hey Dario,

On 17.11.2015 15:16, Dario Casalinuovo wrote:

What I've been trying to expose is that there's not anything in the
current implementation that can't be done in the cycle based one.
Instead there's a lot of undefined behavior in the node-centric one.

What undefined behaviour?

By the way, I didn't claim that your approach can't work. I understand that it would work as well. However, to completely change the way the Media Kit works, I think we should have good reasons, a clear incentive. I don't agree with the things you claim as being broken: those are partly implementation issues (e.g. our current lateness calculation is still broken -- see our last discussion regarding enqueue time); partly a few design issues. However, so far, I don't see anything which would make it necessary to transition away from the node-centric approach. Also nothing which would require "hacks" which you allude to.

All the things which you propose could be done as part of the nodes. E.g. the "activation table log" could be interesting -- but that could also simply be part of a buffer itself: every node would append its time-stamp in the buffer as it's being processed.

It seems we won't reach agreement in this.

Best regards,
Julian