[haiku-development] Re: Idea: preserve files during building to partition

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:23:59 +0200 CEST

Pieter Panman <pieter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First of all, you might/might not know this, but you can mount bfs
> read-only from Linux. (mount -t befs /dev/sd?? /haikuvol) Sorry if
> this
> is obvious, I didn't know it. At least for ubuntu I this just worked
> for me.

It's been there for quite some time (befs), but it's not included in
every distribution by default. SuSE and Ubuntu definitely have it since
a long time, though.

> A lot of people have been requesting ways to preserve files on the
> haiku
> partition when you're building it again. Maybe with this we can:
> - Specify (with wildcards or so) the paths to preserve in the
> UserBuildConfig
> In the build process:
> - Automount the destination partition
> - Save the files to be preserved and zip them up
> - Build the new haiku and copy to partition
> - restore the files using a copy action

Why so complicated? First of all, the bfs_shell can copy in both ways;
there is no need to let Linux mount the partition.
And then, I don't see why we cannot use the same mechanism as in the
install-haiku target.
It works fine on BeOS, and it should be fairly easy to replace the
direct access with one via the bfs_shell.

Bye,
   Axel.