[haiku-development] Re: INPUT / VOTE : --include-gpl-addons

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 08:52:16 -0300

Jorge G. Mare wrote:

>>> I'd love to hear the interpretation from someone who is very much in
>>> the know, but who is not also a GPL zealot...
>>
>> And this is the reason for my meeting on Monday. Daniel Berlin is
>> actually a lawyer specialized in open source. Chris DiBona is
>> responsible for making sure we conform to open-source licenses at
>> Google.
>
> I was wondering... How did the meeting go?

Oh, sorry. Completely forgot about this. The meeting was with Chris only
as Daniel didn't make it. His opinion (and I have to stress opinion
here. This can be in no way constructed as legal advice) is basically
what we already concluded. The GPL is basically so convoluted that the
only way to play it safe is to, when in doubt, avoid it if at all
possible (unless your project is GPL, of course). When it is not
possible, contacting the original authors may help but it could be
difficult with projects like ffmpeg as there are dozens (if not
hundreds) of contributors so unless the copyright is signed to an entity
that has a legal right to make an exemption in an specific case, this
will not help either.

Hope this helps.

-Bruno