[haiku-development] Re: INPUT / VOTE : --include-gpl-addons

  • From: Anoop Kumar Narayanan <anoop.kn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 04:52:40 +0530

Oops... Kinda got late in to the conversation...
Anyway, here's what's needs to be done.

1. Default binary build of Haiku let it include GPL licensed products.
Reason: Home users don't give a shit, my guess is that most users of
Haiku are home users.

2. If a home user want to create a Comercial product, then ensure that
when ever media-kit is added to the header file raise a preprocessor
#warning during compilation, "Using GPL Code with Media-Kit, This will
make your product GPL. If the warning needs to be removed, recompile
Haiku without --include-gpl-options or -DINCLUDE_GPL_OPTIONS".

3. For allowing companies to use it: Create a Text file called
Resell_Redistribute_Haiku.txt (also it would be wise to put it on the
website) and mention in that, Haiku must be recompiled with out
--include-gpl-addons option or -DINCLUDE_GPL_OPTIONS. And, when
compiled without this option state which are the packages that will be
disabled because of GPL. This would warn the Resellers or
Redistributers of potential problems beforehand.

You may not be able to avoid GPL completely, but a heads up would
definitely make a lot of difference.

-Regards,
Anoop