[haiku-development] Re: INPUT / VOTE : --include-gpl-addons

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:32:45 -0400

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Back to the media codecs: They are loaded by libmedia and thus indirectly
> by the program (at least there's no separate process).

Again this may just be stepping around the details of the GPL and not
the spirit, but what about having some sort of separate process for
media add-ons (or at least GPL ones?) I guess performance might
suffer, but personally I'd like these areas improved in performance
because of the multi-process browser design I want to implement :)

Plus it might be useful to have a general purpose system for
out-of-process add-ons for robustness (taking Tracker add-ons out of
process for example...we can't count on all of them being written
right.)

Though this might be too much to tackle for the alpha (and/or you all
think I'm crazy...)

--
Regards,
Ryan