[haiku-development] Re: INPUT / VOTE : --include-gpl-addons

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:02:17 -0300

Axel Dörfler wrote:

As Ingo put it, I don't think the kernel add-ons are that problematic. But I am also unsure about the media add-ons, and I think we should try to get legal advise before putting them on the image. I've contacted FSF Europe, and asked for a clarification of the GPL paragraph (in v2):

        "These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works."

I think this paragraph can be read in our favour, it's just the question if it's really meant to be this way, too :-)

IANAL, but I am pretty sure we would have no problem including GPL add-ons. Other than the reasons already pointed (our license is GPL-compatible for example) there is also the fact that, for example, the Mekia Kit can completely function without the GPL add-ons and is not tightly tied to them. This make them both separated enough that the Media Kit is, obviously, not a derivative work of the GPL add-on.

A good way to demonstrate it is that even if only a binary version of Haiku was available (no sources but the headers), someone else could still compile the add-on and use it (as long as we have a entry in the codec table for the formats supported, but this is completely independent fromn the GPL code).

In other words, I guess we are fine. For wahat it is worth, my vote is for including the add-ons.

-Bruno