[haiku-development] Re: How to use RemoteDisk?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:54:23 +0100

On 2010-01-02 at 02:58:24 [+0100], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> Am 01.01.2010 um 21:05 schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
> > On 2010-01-01 at 19:32:59 [+0100], Alexander von Gluck
> > <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > > wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Had a bad New Year's party? ;)

No, actually a nice one. :-)

Please don't misunderstand me. It's great that you work on the PPC port and I
certainly don't mind answering questions. It would just be much appreciated,
if you (and everyone else, of course) would take a bit of time to dig before
shooting something off to the mailing list. E.g. to answer your linker script
question I had to look into the ld documentation. That took only a few
minutes, but that really shouldn't have been my time in the first place.

> I had already figured it out myself by then - I used grep, another
> neat tool; unfortunately it finds too many hits when I run it over the
> complete haiku/trunk checkout including binaries in the generated-*
> folders.

Then don't search the generated* dirs. :-) Unless you're looking for data
files headers/ and src/ are sufficient. I usually start with the scope where
I would expect something of interest to turn up -- like
src/system/{kernel,boot} and headers/private/kernel for kernel respectively
boot loader related stuff -- and widen it, if necessary.

> As for my plans, I'm aware that we won't get a graphical desktop after
> two more one-line fixes. Getting some of the obvious fixes committed
> would still be nice though! :)

Certainly. I'm afraid none of the people with commit access really feel
responsible for the PPC port, though. So a bit of prodding from time to time
might help. :-)

CU, Ingo