[haiku-development] Handling gcc2>gcc4 dependencies in non-hybrid builds

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:50:10 +0200

Hi,

Earlier today I uploaded a lot of updated packages in order to update
our Python to version 2.7. This includes a new version of git with some
minor fixes which were done earlier but had never been uploaded.

The git_cvs package now depends on cvsps_x86, which it needs to do
anything useful. However, cvsps is only building with gcc4. So while the
git_cvs package is available on gcc2 systems, it can't be installed on
the plain gcc2 (non-hybrid) Haiku. This apparently breaks the build:
http://buildbot.haiku-os.org/builders/haiku-master-x86_gcc2/builds/487/steps/jam%20%40release-raw/logs/stdio

Is there a way to avoid this problem?

Should we continue maintaining the plain gcc2 (non-hybrid) version of
Haiku? I think there is little use for it. WebKit isn't available for
it, and a lot of our packages are now using gcc4 (cmake comes to mind,
but there are others). This makes the plain gcc2 build not so useful,
unless people are looking for a version of Haiku that uses less disk
space and still is BeOS compatible. But I'm not sure that's a large
enough userbase to justify continuing to distribute this version. There
is the argument that this can be used for developers who need a
non-hybrid image, but there are gcc4 versions of that which should do
the job just fine. And I think our hybrid support is fairly stable now.
Any other reason for keeping the non-hybrid gcc2 build around and
fixing this issue?

--
Adrien.