[haiku-development] Re: HaikuPorts logo

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 18:49:33 -0700

Howdy,

Brecht Machiels wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 18:29 -0700, Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki) wrote:
I already responded to you on this matter on the BePorts list, but I will repeat it here in case you did not understand.

I am sorry, but it was you yourself who referred me to this mailing
list!

Yes, but not to ask about the logo. :)

Maybe my response on the BePorts list was not well phrased, so let me try to put it in a nutshell for you:

1) Third parties cannot use the Haiku logo to identify themselves or their work.

2) In the hypothetical case that HaikuPorts became part of the Haiku project, then you could use the Haiku logo (using a specific template).

3) If you would like to pursue becoming part of the Haiku project, contact the devs on the development mailing list.

Can I take it then that your statement is representative of the
view of the Haiku team?

Yes.

If HaikuPorts were to became an official part of the Haiku project, then using the Haiku logo would be acceptable. If you would like to take that course, please ask the devs on the development mailing list (personally, I think it would be a good thing, but it is the devs' call to make).

What would be the practical consequences of HaikuPorts becoming an
official part of the Haiku project?

In very broad terms, it would mean aligning to the core goals of the project. In a nutshell, that means a commitment to focus specifically on the advancement the Haiku. With regards to what that means in technical terms, you would have to discuss with the devs.

If it's just an empty construct to
solely enable the use of the Haiku logo, it seems a bit silly to me :)

I agree, and I obviously did not mean it that way. :)

Please, keep in mind that the logo is a trademark whose purpose is to create an identity for the project and its work (ie., the operating system), and therefore it cannot be used as the mark to identify a third party, because that would give the (inaccurate) impression that the third part and the Haiku project are one and the same, when they are not.

Otherwise, you would have to use an alternative logo, such as the one that I created or another one of your liking.

The logo with the app icon seems to be popular (I like it too). I
suggest we make use of that one. I agree with Andreas to make "ports"
bolder however.

This is a development list, so let's continue this particular area of the discussion on the BePorts list. ;)

However, I assume that the app icon is also Haiku property? Is it OK to
use it in the HaikuPorts logo?

The icons have a license; as long as you comply with the license, you should be OK.

The logo is a trademark, and is therefore treated differently (as noted in my explanation above).

I hope this clarifies the situation. :)

Cheers,

Koki