[haiku-development] Re: Haiku updating system?

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:54:51 +0530

I haven't updated OS X and Ubuntu for quite some time now. The reason
is large updates. An 80MB update for iTunes cannot be justified. Oh,
and I don't want a new Linux kernel every week, thank you very much. I
might just be lazy, but I find that large updates are a big turnoff
(not _just_ because I have a 512kilobit/sec connection, or because I
have a 100GB data cap).

Something like bsdiff would definitely be a good idea. Google are
using something called Courgette for pushing Chrome updates:
http://blog.chromium.org/2009/07/smaller-is-faster-and-safer-too.html

Smaller updates also mean lower bandwidth costs for mirrors. Also, we
don't want to clog the tubes, do we? :p

--
Salut,
General Maximus