[haiku-development] Re: Haiku on G33BU motherboard...

  • From: Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:57:33 -0700

Ok, I changed "ide" to "ata" and jam'd it again, How, comes the funny part...

Now, it only gets to the hard drive icon (with the leaf) and sits there. After a few minutes, it KDL's and says it can't find a boot partition! I tried changing the drive type from "Legacy" to "Native/IDE" to "Native/AHCI". No difference. It always KDL's now, saying it can't find a boot partition.

From the frying pan into the fire?  Or did I do something wrong?

Luposian

On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Rene Gollent wrote:

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Apr 11, 2008, at 3:55 AM, Stephan Assmus wrote:

I have the same problem on one of my computers and when I use the new IDE bus manager from Marcus, I can boot Haiku on that machine. To use this alternative IDE bus manager, you have to build your own image from the
source code.... which leads me onto your next question:

 You mean, if I do a "jam -q haiku-image", the new IDE bus manager is
included, but if I download a Raw Haiku image from haiku-os.org, it isn't? That's odd. Is it the development platform (Linux vs. BeOS R5)? Which also begs the question... why are images I jam in BeOS R5 only 100Mb in size, yet images I download from Haiku-os.org are 250Mb in size? 150Mb difference?
Why?  What is in the downloadable image that isn't in the ones I make
myself?

No, you have to explicitly modify a jamfile to include the new IDE bus
manager. Specifically, edit src/add-ons/kernel/bus_managers/Jamfile
and where it says:
SubInclude HAIKU_TOP src add-ons kernel bus_managers ide ;

change to:

SubInclude HAIKU_TOP src add-ons kernel bus_managers ata ;

Then rebuild.

Rene