[haiku-development] Re: Haiku on G33BU motherboard...

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:19:32 +0200

Hello Mr. Luposian,

please have a look at http://dev.haiku-os.org/

If you think your problem is already tracked there,
you can sub~scribe to a bug report to get notified
when something changes.

You should create a new ticket/bug report if you
want to submit the information below as a bug report.

Please attach serial debug output, or at least
readable screenshots of the last few pages before
and including the panic that occurs.

Probably you drive and ide bus is healthy, and the
problem might be fixed by switching to the ata bus
manager, that I'm currently working on.

I don't intend to persue this issue any further on
this list.

Thanks,

Marcus

(reposted because listserv didn't like the word sub~scribe)

Luposian schrieb:
I noticed something, after I tried changing a few settings (not all of them, this time) in Haiku's boot menu... it seems Haiku gets to a certain part of the drive and can't get past it. It tries... fails. Resets... tries again... fails. Over and over and over again. It came up with an I/O error and some timeout error message. And it kept trying and failing and resetting and trying again and failing... eventually it KDL's with a "I can't write back to this [whatever] block." Device timeout. If you type "continue", it'll try again... and KDL again. It's something to do with the pci bus and a certain address (x40abcd70 or whatever) on the drive or something.

Could it be the drive itself being flaky? I originally had the drive in 3 partitions, but then decided I'd only have two and used BeOS's installer to repartition it as two partitions. Could this be causing problems for Haiku on my G33BU motherboard?

Could having SMART enabled in the BIOS be affecting things, if the Maxtor UDMA33 doesn't use SMART (I dunno if it does or not)?

However, it seems odd... Haiku works fine on the drive in Athlonica... but utterly "bonks" (goes crazy) on the G33BU motherboard. So, logic dictates it CAN'T be the drive. It MUST be the IDE bus... or some aspect connected with it.

Does anyone know how to get Haiku onto a SATA drive, on a new system, without using BeOS R5 as an intermediary? In other words, how do I put Haiku on a SATA drive (if that would help alleviate the problem I'm currently having) on a system that BeOS is familiar with, without having to buy a SATA controller board to do so (and would BeOS be able to use a SATA drive on such a controller)?

And the other problem is... if I use Linux, on "QuadSlacker" (my G33BU motherboard) how do I get BFS partitions onto the SATA drive?

Luposian

On Apr 10, 2008, at 11:50 PM, scott mc wrote:

See tickets #1444 and #2050
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1444
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2050
though not the same issue that you are having they both involve start
up issues where the system doesn't fully boot.
File a new ticket will this info you have collected, perhaps it'll
help fix something or not...
You're on the right debugging trail.  Try setting SATA as legacy in
your BIOS and see if that gets you the same KDL.
-scottmc

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok, I got in the Boot Menu and, just to play it safe, I checked every
option.  Safe mode video, No IDE DMA, etc.  Every last option.  After a
bazillion pages of PCI this and IDE that (I had to keep "press any key to
continue..." over and over again)... it finally KDL'd and gave me this:

 PANIC: Could not write back block 2633 (Device timeout)

Did I check off too many options or the wrong ones? Or is it saying my 6Gb
IDE drive is a POJ (Piece Of Junk)?

This is a wonderful adventure... I just need someone willing to go with me,
who knows the trail... :-)

 Luposian

 On Apr 10, 2008, at 8:54 PM, Dustin Howett wrote:

In Haiku's bootup. Press space (more accurately, press it repeatedly
;)) before the boot splash shows up but after the BIOS gives up
control.