[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Userland on Non-Haiku Kernel

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 03:33:03 +0000

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 08:44:00AM +0100, Stephan wrote:
> Hi folks

> I´m referring to this discussion:

> //www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Whats-the-status-of-Haiku

> I´m interested in bringing a GUI to NetBSD and I think that Haiku´s
> appserver and UI toolkit is a good base. I don´t need to mention the
> mess of X and 100 different crazy toolkits and dektop environments
> here.

> Is think there was a prototype showing this on Linux. Is there any
> code and/or documentation available that might give ideas on how to
> implement Haiku/BeOS specific interfaces on a traditional Unix/POSIX
> OS?

I'm in NetBSD-current (7.99.1) amd64 as I read and type this, know what you
mean about the mess of X.

Either X doesn't start at all, or the mouse doesn't work; in this case the
mouse doesn't work but I use xkbset which provides a surrogate mouse.

Is there something I could try, on NetBSD-current, either on amd64 or i386?

I have plenty of space on a 3 TB hard drive with GPT, would use another
partition rather than mess the current installation, need to so rebuild NetBSD
anyway.

Graphic applications that expect to run under X would have to be modified to
run under a different GUI, but that should not be impossible considering that
many such graphic applications have been ported to MS-Windows and Mac OS X.

Tom