[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha discussion proposals

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:55:45 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ah! About my pet peeve :)
What about a Tester/Feedback Package (like the Welcome Package) that would contain one or more small tools to ease failure and success reporting. At least some standardized way to send your config details and your success at running it in a few clicks (yes i know, you have to at least boot to the desktop but it's better than nothing). It doesn't need to be super precise and shouldn't replace real bug reporting on trac, but at least we'll have a rough idea of how things goes for our users (and how many they are).
Should we push this idea further?

I would be against adding another method to file bugs this way - a link to our bug tracker should be enough.
I agree.
But an app like a questionnaire about what hardware works, and how, doesn't sound too bad, at least, even though it does sound like something not really tailored towards our current primary audience (ie. developers).Dunno if we would get much useful data back, though. Also, this would require quite a bit of working, and infrastructure - I wouldn't want to delay the alpha because of this.
It depends how you see it, i see it as a development tool in the sense that it would help developers to have an estimation of the quality status. I particularly emphasize on reporting positive feedback (as i proposed in this list a few month ago). Having no bug report on a component doesn't mean it's working, especially with a small community like ours... Well you see the idea. But i understand i might sound strange or at least exotic, thanks for your reply at least :)

What worries me is that some components/features seems ok (ie: no bug report) although nobody might have tested them enough.

In the meantime, keeping the focus on our first alpha, we could simply do a big checklist (web based?) and check if each component meet our expectations of alpha quality (ex: Network Preflet), we would do the same for the next releases.

On a different subject, i think we could clarify our views concerning the estimated timeframes since it plays a lot in our decisions to include/finish things in the alpha (see gcc2/4 discussion).
How many alpha do you think we will we do? Betas ?
In my understanding, i see the first alpha in approx 1 month max 2 months, and the second alpha 2 or 3 month later. I think if we can agree on some timeframe, it will simplify the decisions, please give your min/max estimations for each milestone.

i hope i'm readable, i wrote this in a hurry :)
Regards,
Alex