[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 22:08:43 +0200

richard jasmin <jasminr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 'Either you use a version of BeOS to do the setup with DriveSetup or
> mkbfs or you use Haiku itself with the Installer or DriveSetup. Once
> you've created and initialized the target partition you can mount the
> image (using tools like Mount Image <http://bebits.com/app/3576> or
> through the Terminal) and copy over all the files. If you are under
> Haiku, you can just as well use the Installer to make a duplicate of your
> currently booted installation.'
>
> no.try again.doesn't work.formats okay.not bootable.
>

> 'If you for example copy such an image directly to a USB drive starting
> from 0, overwriting the MBR (destoying all partitions already there),
> then this will boot.'
>
> like the dd command or the russian software that does this? dont think
> so, tried and failed.
>
> ' To make sure a partition boot record is there and it contains the right
> partition offset, you can use the tool "makebootable". Makebootable will
> do both, write the partition boot code to the beginning of the partition
> and detect and write the partition offset to where it is needed. You can
> use the makebootable from BeOS if you have a BeOS installation that has
> access to the partition in question.'
>
> not quite.its SUPPOSED to do this.it doesn't.
> ive used VBox and qemu, no luck.

If you boot a BeOS in emulation and point it to the partition, are you sure
the harddrive is mapped completely, or is the *partition* by any chance
mapped as the harddrive in the emulation? I think you will have to get more
specific in describing what you did. At least I have a hard time
deciphering your description.

Best regards,
-Stephan