[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 20:43:01 -0700

Reporting back back Linux World...  We got lots of positive feedback.
Many were asking when there would be an Alpha release and we "guessed"
it would happen in the next 3-6 months.  I think the way things are
progressing at this point that perhaps an October target date might be
possible, perhaps be able to announce or even release it near the date
of the Ohio Linux Fest and the next BeGeistert?  We met many
developers who expressed some interest but wanted to hold off until
there was a stable system to work on.

As for what should be on it, firefox, vision, pe, the development
tools including svn, cvs, git, perl, and perhaps python if we can get
them all working by then.  Perhaps even check to see if some other
things could be included such as niue, which would help developers.

Also not sure how many of you have given the "box" program from tiltos
a try out, but that might be something to think about adding to the
project, that is if we can talk kaliber into it.  It's handy for being
able to quickly install missing libraries that have already been
ported.  It would also be cool if someone could write a gui front end
for box in time for the alpha.
To try it out:
wget http://files.tiltos.com/tiltos-for-haiku/tiltos-for-haiku-1.zip
unzip tiltos-for-haiku-1.zip -d /
box -s
It's the first thing i do when using a fresh haiku image, i get box
and then box -i wput and a few other things that I use often.  Maybe
we should include wput into Haiku's bin folder?  Handy little tool to
have.

As for tickets that should be bumped up to R1/Alpha, I think anything
that needs updating to fix known security issues should be
tagged/updated, such as libpng, see tickets 2018, 2193, .  These
should be easy to knock out though.
Also consider whether any of these tickets sould be bumped up: 1429,
1444, 2231, 2522, 2523.

so here's my list for including:
firefox
vision
pe
dev tools
svn
cvs
git
perl
python
OSS

and maybe box and/or niue if we like them and can get permission from
their authors

-scottmc