[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 release timeline

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 07:35:46 -0500

On , scottmc wrote:
So I think Augustin should be the one in charge, and if anyone
wants to help him
(including Adrien), I would assume that this is certainly
appreciated.

I had sent a mail applying for this at about the same time, but it
didn't get through as my ML subscription was not configured
properly.
I'm worried that waddlesplash is not a member of the haiku project
with
commit access, and it feels a bit strange to me that someone
external to
the project can be RC. But if everyone is ok with that, let's go
for it,
it's only less work for me.

I'm not convinced Augustin is up for the challenge.  He's not yet a
committer and even seasoned Haiku developer's have found that the role
of release manager is a bit much for one person.  As Matt stated
earlier we need to take a look at what's required and make sure we
cover everything.  I dug up the post mortem from Alpha4, here's the
mailing list thread.  Please review it.
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Haiku-R1A4-Postmortem
[1]

Heh.  I forgot about that email.  Looks like I should of read it before
starting the RC process :P

While my opinion doesn't count much after my Release Coordinator rage quit,
I personally am a little worried that Augustin is trying to accomplish
too much. A release at this time shouldn't be a reason to try to fix / add everything, an Alpha release should be a release to show off how much progress we've made with the Haiku code in a "mostly stable" state. Adding a ton of enhancements into R1A5 isn't a wise move given how late we are for a release.

USB3 support (8954) is going to introduce young buggy code, adding a btoolbar API (1142) is a complete enhancement and really isn't appropate in a release squeeze. Keep in mind someone also has to be available to *complete* these
tickets... without a workforce this release will never happen.

I think rather than trying to fix everything and add support for USB3, btoolbar, etc, we should focus on severe boot issues and crashes. We can document small
work-arounds in the release notes.

Speaking of release notes, here are the ones I typed up before I dropped the
RC role:

http://unixzen.com/patchwork/haikuR1A5/

Whoever ends up being the RC, feel free to use them if you want.

Remember, "It still is Alpha(tm)"

-- Alex