[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 release timeline

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 14:15:10 +0000 (UTC)

You seem to have missed the main issue that Oliver brought up: The HaikuPorts
recipe tree is currently in no condition to reproducibly build a consistent
state of the package repository (for *any* architecture). IOW: If we'd decide
to do a release now and rebuild all packages we'd likely get a broken mess.

So, until the infrastructure is ready (Oliver is working on that) and there are
testing and stable branches of the HaiuPorts recipe tree for the various
architectures -- with one or two maintainers for each architecture! -- it would
be extremely unwise to do a release.

CU, Ingo

Well, that is not exactly what I read. I read that the issue with recipes had
to do with unsupported architectures being largely broken. If the larger issue
is that all recipes or haikuporter is not working properly. That is a very good
and valid reason to delay Alpha5, but I still support starting the Alpha5
branch today and doing a overall feature freeze, except where criticall design
flaws ditactate otherwise.

If not the problems will continue to pile up and no goals will be attained.

Sean