[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: Matt <laceysnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:06:58 +0100

2009/3/30 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If people want to make a nice port of Qt to Haiku, great. But I'll
>> never use it to write software for Haiku, and will avoid software
>> that
>> does use it. In fact I will strongly oppose Qt becoming part of the
>> standard Haiku install. It can be made very easy to add later with
>> whatever nice system we set up for adding software, but I do not want
>> it bloating the install disk or a clean Haiku install. I think all
>> such libraries should be treated the same way (GTK, Wine, or whatever
>> else greatly duplicates what a core Haiku API provides.)
>
> +1
>
> Bye,
>   Axel.

+1

One of my fave things with the BeOS was that it was consistent.
Windows manages that for the most part (apart from some Open Source
apps like the Gimp) but I'd much rather see everything using the
native Haiku API. The Be API was the best I've ever used, I've been
using .Net recently and it's just not nearly as intuitive.