[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:46:02 +0200 CEST

Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After reading this entire Qt thread, I'm beginning to think that it
> might be
> more beneficial to have the BeAPI and kits accessible on other
> platforms.
> <ducks>  You gain wonderful things like  BMessages, TranslatorKit, a
> multithreaded and consistant API, etc.  That would bring more
> interesting
> apps to Haiku than going via the Qt path.  But these are all R2 and
> beyond
> things.

From a business perspective, this of course would work as well. IIRC
this is what Gobe tried to do as well when porting its software to
Windows.
However, it's much more work to port the Be API to many many other
platforms compared to porting Qt once.

Also, the Qt API is pretty good, and more complete than Haiku's in many
places; depending on what you intend to do, the Qt API might be a much
better choice to reach your aims.
Of course, that situation should improve over time in favor of the
Haiku API (at least there more room for improvements left) ;-)

Bye,
   Axel.